19 December 2007

The Foray

Exactly 6 months ago, on June 2007, I have shut down the Friendster account of mine. With 50+ friends and hundreds of comments plus, a group under my administration. The profile is just 10 months old. Many asks why? Well the answer is a simple 'school-boy' explanation. I had become addicted to it.

In fact, the most profound thing that I missed the most would be the blog account that came attached with the Friendster profile. Tugged under the name " Revelation District ", there was total of 27 posts ( including 1 deleted and 1 forwarded ). Bidding goodbye to Revelation District has never been easy. The blog also supposed to be updated with some of fresh posts, which would increase it to 33. But, due to some circumstances, RD lifespan has been shortened.

The history of RD goes back as far as 2002, when I was a form 3 student. An initiative were made to start a book called the 'Freeforum' , which is self-expainatory; a book for people to write about anything. The first one were nicked ' Freelancer Paradise ', as my memory could recall, I drew a single palm tree island surrounded with waters and pertruding sharkfins for cover illustration purpose. The response was good enough. With total of 9 posts.
I still remembers a fellow contributor by the name Tan Zhe Hou writing about Terengganu and its kropok lekor.

Freelancer Paradise were succeeded with a new Freeforum named 'Message for the Masses' in 2003. An updated version which share the same mechanism as the previous one. The book would 'toured' through classes in order for contributors to write their thoughts. This one saw the decline of contributors. Perhaps, the people at my school becomes busier or losing interest. By 2004, it has become imminent that the plan for third freeforum named ' Revelation District ' shall be scrapped. It was necessary since I was in my SPM years after all. Employing a junior student were given consideration, but further action never materialized.

Late-2004, saw the stand still period of my writings. I was more focused towards writing malay satire. Yet, periodically, I still find ample time to write things although it was never shared.

The awakening of social networking facility through internet saw made me initiated a Friendster account in April 2005. Most of my colleague during that time were more interested in MySpace. I was thinking about something less glamour, so I headed for Friendster instead. I was using the name 'Babytaurus' at the time. The account lasted about a year until I shut it down on May 2006. Again, the reason was I'm addicted to it.

Fate brought me back to Friendster once again, when a fresh account by the profile name 'Phian' was initiated on August 2006. The blogging function seems appealing, so, without hesitation I started one for myself. The name 'Revelation District' were given. At the time, one of my friend has started a blogspot account, and its been a while. Her blog mostly concentrated on sports regarding her favourite football club, Arsenal.

It inspired me to start a dedicated blog space like hers. Especially on issues that I love to write. Yet, my blogging were still deemed too premature at the time. RD was a training ground for me to learn a bit on blogging. RD was the place where I receive feedbacks and response on matters related to my blog. I touched almost anything inside the blog;Saddam Hussein, Sharifah Amnani, Hitler, Pyramid scheme.... I had an elaborate plan of completing 50 posts before porting it to a dedicated blog account like Blogger.com. A total of 27 posts ( with 6 waiting on que ), RD met an early death. harhar.

Since then, RD has been a great experimentation. A test of survivability of blog. Once, a reported has said to me; " It took twenty seconds for a reader to get either engaged or dumped with our posts ". Goodbye RD. You're like my R2D2.

Today, Tudya! ( That's It! in Kedah state lingo ) is officially my second foray into the blogging world. While the road ahead looks unpredictable, the posts shall be as informal, personal, analytic and humorous as ever. Tudya! An epitome of my passion in writing and observing; a significant second voice.


Suffian Ariff.

No comments: